Shaun Barnes is a PGA Professional for Morton Golf and works at the Haggin Oaks Golf Complex in Sacramento, CA. He is also today’s guest blogger and shares his free lesson tips on how to create more distance in your golf game. To schedule a lesson with Shaun, call him at 916-808-2531.
Hello Golfers! Hope all is well with everyone’s golf game. This is the second installment in my series. Click HERE to see my first golf tip.
At the top of your backswing, it is important to use your core to slow down the movement away from the target and simultaneously use your legs to begin driving your pelvis toward the target. Learning how to use the legs to initiate the downswing while creating separation of the pelvis from the upper body (Pelvic Disassociation) is an important aspect of developing power and efficiency during the swing. Golf throws will help develop lengthening and shortening power within the pelvis, core, and arms.
Coach Shaun’s Distance Tip #2
Plyometric Golf Throw to a Partner
- Begin in your golf posture with your partner to your left holding a light weight medicine ball.
- Your partner throws the medicine ball to you while in your golf posture, catching the ball as you rotate your torso and arms to the right.
- Decelerate the medicine ball smoothly, and then initiate movement back to your left by pushing your legs down to the ground to accelerate your arms and the ball back toward your partner.
- Release the ball back to your partner and finish your rotation so you are in a full standing position.
- Return to the start position and repeat 10-15 times, then rotate to the other side.
If you have any questions about the performance of the exercises, please call 916-808-2531 to leave Shaun a message or to book a lesson. You can also click HERE to send Shaun an email with your questions.